Chenies & Latimer Cricket Club
A brief history of Chenies & Latimer Cricket Club 1878 – 1978
The first mention of the Cricket that can be traced is related in writings describing a flower show held where “ladies dressed in crinolines wandered with their gentleman past the Cricket Field”. From this date of 1878 has been accepted as the start of a Cricket Club in Latimer.
It is therefore generally accepted that Latimer Cricket Club was senior in years to Chenies Cricket Club. Records are held by the club in the form of Minutes which start on December 3rd 1898.
Unfortunately earlier minute books have been lost but records for Chenies Cricket Club as it was then up to the present day provide very interesting reading. There appeared to be an amalgamation – in the red corner Lord Chesham President of Latimer and in the Green corner the Russell family from the Duke of Bedford!In 1900 the Secretary reported that “during the season 20 games had been played, 10 had been won, 8 lost and 2 drawn. Receipts to date amounted to £12.13.9 ½d ., the expenditure to £12.8.0d. leaving a surplus of £5.9 ½ . Chenies had a good start in their first season of the 20th Century!
In 1909 the proposal was made to amalgamate the two clubs with the Latimer Cricket Club having a balance in hand of £1.6.1d and Chenies £2.13.3d.The amalgamation took place and that is how it has remained to the present day. The Chenies and Latimer Cricket Club was born and the President was Lord Chesham with the Duchess of Bedford, Lady Chesham, Lady Ela Russell and Mr. Russell as Patron.
The Club thrived up to the 1914-1918 war and on January 16th 1919 the Club was reformed. The Club colours were to be Amber and Blue. The Cricket Club was to be in the Pightle (a field alongside Chenies Church).In 1926 the subscriptions were fixed at 5 shillings per person and 2/6d for any members under 18 and the first sub committee was formed for team selection. The 2nd World War interrupted play for 5 years there was understandably such a poor attendance in 1941 that the Club was close to disappearance. However with a spirit that only cricketers can muster it survived and moved to its present site. In the 1950’s with the help of A.E. Life, Mr. P.H.Partington and Mr. H. Clayton new members were bought in. In the early 1960’s the ground was purchased and the Club went from strength to strength.
For over 80 years the Bedford Arms had been the meeting place for committees but the new pavilion built an extended and a bar installed the Club became their own masters.The beautiful ground with the excellent table and facilities is a fitting memorial to all the hard work and dedication that has been put into it by members, Patron, Vice Presidents, Presidents and friends who have given their services to the club over a span of 100 years.